Baxi issues Safety Alert for Potterton Powermax HE boilers

  A Safety Alert has been issued by Baxi, in conjunction with Gas Safe, in response to a very small risk associated with Potterton Powermax HE boilers manufactured between 2001 and November 18 2005. Potterton Powermax HE boilers produced during this time were manufactured with an aluminium flue/condensate connector. Baxi’s continuous improvement programme has highlighted that, in very extreme cases, where several factors occur simultaneously, carbon monoxide (CO) above normal operational … [Read more...]

Landlord jailed for gas safety failings

  A London landlord has been jailed for endangering his tenants after illegally installing a boiler that he then repeatedly tried to fix after it developed a leak. Harpal Singh, 53, attempted to repair his faulty handiwork at the Tottenham Hale property on three occasions before a concerned tenant phoned National Grid for help. A qualified technician then immediately disconnected the gas supply. Westminster Magistrates Court heard on 22 November that a subsequent investigation revealed six … [Read more...]

Gas fitter given curfew following explosion that left Manchester pensioner with severe burns

  A gas fitter has received a suspended prison sentence, curfew, and been ordered to carry out 300 hours of community service after a pensioner suffered severe burns in a gas explosion at his home in Manchester. Gas fitter Christopher Laffin, 22, was sentenced at Manchester Crown Court on 29 November after an investigation found he had damaged live electrical wires while installing a new boiler at the terraced property, which caused a hole to burn through the gas pipe. As a result, gas leaked … [Read more...]